A 10X Commitment is a label for a personal commitment to a radical shift in the lasting difference you are making in your world. "10X" refers to an order-of-magnitude shift, one that feels impossible — a shift that demands exploration outside the box of your current thinking — a shift that requires co-creative collaboration.
Why make a 10x commitment?
Looking at Murray's famous quote, there are at least two ways in which Providence might play out when you take a committed stand:
- Those who are aligned will bring forth their support
- Those who are resistant will help you see what’s missing
We humans are much much more than we think we are. We are limited only by our current beliefs of what’s possible. We are gifted with freedom of choice. A deep and passionate commitment is one of the most powerful choices we can make. Use it or lose it.
Why 10X? Why not 5x? And how do you measure whether you’ve achieved your commitment?
10X is arbitrary. The key is to get way beyond what you see as feasible or reasonable. 10X serves as a mental “forcing function” to support out-of-box exploration – to encourage your seeking alliances with other pioneering players.
What is meant by “out-of-box”?
Each of us lives in a box with walls defined by our beliefs, by how we speak and listen, by our distinctions and mental models, and by culturally reinforced ways of being. What we believe affects what we perceive. Believing is seeing. As Henry Ford put it: “Whether you believe you can or believe you can’t, you’ll be right.”
We are unconscious of our boxes, and of their size. Like a fish in an aquarium, we can hardly imagine the possibility of oceans.
It’s easy to see the boxes of those who are brought up in radically different cultures. We may be struck by their ignorance of what seems obvious to us. We are equally ignorant of the walls of our individual boxes, especially if they are culturally reinforced.
Critical Success Factors
- Commit to that which you feel passionate about. It must be really important to you
- Focus on what will make a lasting difference versus more transient change
- Go for the impossible, where it feels like you can’t get there from here
- Intend that your unique gifts and talents be fully brought into play — that you realize your ‘true work’
- Hold that making this commitment is a privilege versus a duty
- Take a stand. Not only vet your emerging commitment with trusted friends and allies, but also show up in public as your deepest commitment
- Expect unexpected breakdowns and commit to mining them for breakthroughs
- Invite coaching and support from all quarters, including the naysayers
- Provide for a long gestation period. (Many experience it as a lifelong process)
- Look for and expect to discover the extraordinary in self and others
- Go Goethe: “Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it”
Want to learn more? Contact us for an exploratory conversation.