10X Shift change initiatives in organizations are based on growing a "generative alliance" among three categories of committed players:
- Senior leaders (we also refer to them as stewards) who are deeply invested in the change effort, see the potential for crossing the Great Culture Chasm, and are willing to serve as leading learners and learning leaders in that action-learning journey
- Organization's changemakers who are excited to lead the charge in the change effort, to pioneer new organizational territory, and to guide their organization across the Great Culture Chasm
- Providers of change expertise who are capable of and committed to serving as social architects and guides to the senior leaders and changemakers as they navigate the challenging ‘crossing’
What is a Generative Alliance?
Generative alliances are much like strategic alliances, but with a couple of fundamental differences:
Strategic alliances did much to support the emergence of the Information Age. The picture suggests why they became so popular and effective. When there is a synergistic fit and a good design and implementation, both parties gain much more than it costs them. During the last half century, Silicon Valley provided a more nurturing environment for strategic alliances than any other region on this planet.
A generative alliance includes and transcends the traditional strategic alliance. A generative alliance includes all the desirable features of a successful strategic alliance and goes much beyond it. The generative alliance transcends the strategic alliance in three important ways:
- Quality of Purpose — Implicit in a generative alliance is the purpose of supporting each other in maximizing their contributions to the well-being of all those affected by the alliance
- Quality of Relationships and Agreements — Implicit in a generative alliance is a commitment on the part of both allies to develop and maintain Blue Zone relationships and agreements.
- Quality of Commitments — The power and efficacy of a generative alliance is fueled by the 10X Commitments of the allies to go for an order-of-magnitude shift in the lasting difference they make to those they serve
Generative alliances can literally multiply the creation of true wealth when compared with traditional strategic alliances. We at 10X Shift have been evolving generative alliances among ourselves for over a decade. It’s been an incredibly rewarding journey, and in many ways, we’ve just begun.
Criteria for Generative Alliances
(A Starter List):
- Strong resonance with/between the allies' 10X Commitments
- Great alignment of purpose, principles and goals
- High levels of trust
- Generative practices and feedback loops that help ensure that all parties are delighted with the outcomes and benefits of the alliance
- Mutual commitment to the alliance as an action-learning expedition; strong commitment to mutual learning from the journey together
Want to learn more? Contact us for an exploratory conversation.