If there is one challenge that most organizations have in common, it is how to continually improve performance and accelerate growth. In the past, operational efficiency and scale were logical answers. But in our rapidly changing world with its swift technological advances, assets and processes quickly become obsolete or prone to disruption. As a result, in today’s creative economy —
Talent is becoming the primary resource with virtually unlimited potential to increase organizational performance and growth.
While most companies see it as their top priority to attract, develop and retain top talent, few are successful at growing their talent to new and sustained performance levels. The two leading talent development strategies — employee engagement and learning & development programs — are becoming increasingly unfit for today’s VUCA challenges (here is why.)
unleashing full potential, accelerating growth
In order to accelerate sustained performance and growth in today’s VUCA world, we must go beyond traditional employee engagement and L&D programs; we ought to see beyond “engaged” and “skilled” employees as ideal. Our developmental challenge is how to grow and support organization members in becoming —
- Pioneers and explorers who dare to push traditional boundaries and challenge the status quo
- Voracious learners sharing their practices and lessons across the work environment
- Intrinsically motivated innovators constantly experimenting with new ways of thinking, working, leading and organizing
- Passionate leaders and changemakers capable of self-organizing to address the company’s urgent challenges as they arise
- Conscious, caring and courageous citizens in service of the organization, its customers and its stakeholders
- Purpose-driven stewards of the organization’s entrepreneurial, high-performing culture
Our Project 10X approach is designed to support your company in developing an organic and flexible developmental infrastructure and organization culture that inspire, guide and support your organization members in growing the critical capabilities above.
The Project 10X approach is distinct from traditional packaged, push-style training and development programs in several ways:
- Engages a community of high-functioning, developmentally-minded ‘changemakers’ and develops them as the ‘architects’ of the new 10X Culture in your organization
- Decisively action-learning centric – learning primarily in the context of real and urgent organizational challenges; pull learning rather than push learning
- Integrates personal development and organizational commitments naturally and organically
- Focuses on order-of-magnitude shifts (10X) in the lasting contributions of the participants to the organization and to its key stakeholders
- More like an action-learning expedition to discover and fully inhabit your ideal 10X Culture than a program or course
- Weaves talent development into the fabric of the company’s every day operations
- Naturally grows agile, silo-transcending, collaborative networks of leaders and changemakers capable of responding to rising challenges quickly
- Can start small and spread/grow organically; this allows for rapid prototyping and course correction early at low risk
Ready to explore how your organization could grow a 10X Culture of rapid development and growth? Contact us to schedule an exploratory conversation.
Why "Employee Engagement" is no longer enough
Employee engagement surveys tend to reflect workers’ satisfaction with the organization’s status quo — its current leadership, processes and strategies. While this made sense in a more predictable world, “engagement” is no longer sufficient in today’s world where volatility, rapid change, and disruption are challenging companies to constantly reinvent themselves — to challenge their status quo. Moreover, what’s missing from the typical discussion of employee engagement is a relentless focus on performance improvement and a strong commitment to achieving full potential — both key to sustained personal and organizational growth.
Why L&D Programs are insufficient to develop needed capabilities
Learning & Development programs tend to be curriculum-based, classroom-centric and focus on developing individual skills. Although the material may be quite sound and well-presented using cutting edge pedagogy, the programs often take place outside of employees’ unique work contexts and challenges, thus the positive effects tend to quickly dissipate when individuals return to their workplace culture. Only deep understanding of a specific context, and action-learning centered around real organizational challenges allow for innovative problem solving and rapid performance improvement.